Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Madapple - Christina Meldrum

Summary - THE SECRETS OF the past meet the shocks of the present.
Aslaug is an unusual young woman. Her mother has brought her up in near isolation, teaching her about plants and nature and language—but not about life. Especially not how she came to have her own life, and who her father might be.

When Aslaug’s mother dies unexpectedly, everything changes. For Aslaug is a suspect in her mother’s death. And the more her story unravels, the more questions unfold. About the nature of Aslaug’s birth. About what she should do next.

About whether divine miracles have truly happened. And whether, when all other explanations are impossible, they might still happen this very day.

Addictive, thought-provoking, and shocking, Madapple is a page-turning exploration of human nature and divine intervention—and of the darkest corners of the human soul.

Review - I am unsure of how I thought about this book. It took me quite a while to read it. I just couldn't find it interesting, and once I finally did get to the point that I was interested it was almost over. This was not your typical book though. There were many things in this book that made me uncomfortable. This book was quite unique though. If you are a hardcore Christian, than this book is not for you. Most of the book is about whether things in the Christian religion are true or not. That didn't bother me so much as the other things that come along. In the last 100 pages though, I became intrigued and wanted to know how it ended. I can tell you that I never expected the ending that this book had. I would go so far to say as it was a major plot twist that would make you gasp, but it is one that you would not expect. I found that most of the book was boring and dragged on. Also another thing that made it harder for me to read, was the fact that every other chapter was a new time. One chapter, Aslaug is telling her story, the next you are in a court room, and it kept switching back and forth. Im not too sure if I would recommend this book to anyone. You definitely have to have an open mind reading it, but as far as enjoyment, this is not the book for that. At the end I had so many emotions, it was..... different. I felt slightly happy, confused, and relief that it was done.

Cover - 4 stars

Plot - 3 stars

Characters - 3 stars

Writing - 4 stars

Ending - 4 stars

2 comments:

Nina said...

I adore this cover so much! It's so beautiful. I have this book on my tbr list and want to read it in december (why? maybe because of the weather, I don't know) It does sound like a different type of book that I normally read, but still I want to give it a try. Thank you for your great and honest review.

Samantha LeAnne said...

Finally someone else that's read this book!

I felt the same way you did. I found most of the book to be boring and dragged on, and the time switching this to be awkward. I liked the time spent at the church though, and the last 100 pages or so were definitely what saved the book.

I agree with the plot twist. I so NEVER saw that coming. Not at all!

I still love the cover and thanks for your review :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...