Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review: Haven - Kristi Cook

Release Date - February 22, 2011
Publisher - Simon Pulse
Age Group - 14 & up
Pages - 416
Rating - 4/5

Summary - One month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future.

But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven.

Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first.

Review -  Haven was a really good debut novel for Mrs. Cook. It had everything you could want in a paranormal romance. Of course it had its paranormal facter, as the description tells you, a school full of kids with psychic gifts, and it had its romance. And along with that came mystery and the main character finally finding herself and people she feels she belongs with. That was probably my favorite aspect about the novel. Violet, the main character, finally having what she wanted and needed.

I really enjoyed all aspects of this novel. In the middle I found myself a little bored but I cannot pinpoint why. I enjoyed all of the characters and the plot. It always kept me guessing and at the end it threw me a curve ball I never saw coming.

I can say that I had no complaints about Kristi's writing. I actually enjoyed it a lot. One thing I didnt like was the cover. Its pretty but I didnt feel it tied in with the book too well.

I would recommend this to any paranormal lover. It is now pretty close to the top of my favorite list.

Cover - 4
Plot - 4
Characters - 4
Writing - 4
Ending - 4

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Great review! I had similar sentiments after finishing this book - I enjoyed it. New follower! You're getting pretty dang close to 100, huh? ;) Congratulations in advance in case I miss it! Thanks for the great review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...