Wednesday, February 10, 2010

1 ARC TOUR Review - Troubadour by Mary Hoffman

Summary - A story of persecution and poetry, love and war set in 13th century Southern France. As crusaders sweep through the country, destroying all those who do not follow their religion, Bertrand risks his life to warn others of the invasion. As a troubadour, Bertrand can travel without suspicion from castle to castle, passing word about the coming danger. In the meantime Elinor, a young noblewoman, in love with Bertrand, leaves her comfortable home and family and becomes a troubadour herself. Danger encircles them both, as the rising tide of bloodshed threatens the fabric of the society in which they live
Review - Alright so I have to start off by saying that i have mixed feelings about this one. Up until the last two to three chapters I had every intention of writing a negative review. The only thing that I didnt like about the book though is that I felt like it drug on and on. The last few chapters were the best part of the book to me. I never would have guessed the way that it ended. Though I enjoyed the outcome I did not enjoy the way that it ended. I felt that it ended too abrubptly. It is hard to explain a lot of the way I felt about this book. It was good at first got very boring in the middle and the ending was okay. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genre's but I did not enjoy this one as much as I have others. I do not know if it was the way that it was written or simply the time period. Overall I would say it was an ok read.
Cover - 3 stars
Plot - 4 stars
Characters - 5 stars
Writing - 3 stars
Ending - 3 stars

1 comment:

(Arya) Paige said...

Aw. I hate to hear that. I love this time period, but I'm not sure if I want to read this yet or not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...